South Downs two day walk
The South Downs National Park; 1600 square kilometers of rolling downs, chalk cliffs, meandering rivers and pretty, unspoilt villages.
In May 2015 the wife and I ventured from Eastbourne to Alfriston via Jevington, returning via Exceat and the Seven Sisters.
The South Downs Way (SDW) was our guide to Jevington, then skirting round on the Wealdway to take in the Long Man, finally dropping down into Alfriston via a remote church – church of The Good Shepherd, Lullington.
Over-nighting at the Star Inn (noisy but pleasant enough) in Alfriston, the Vanguard Way took us along the Cuckmere River to Litlington, West Dean and Exceat, where we re-joined the SDW for the home stretch over the Seven Sisters and Birling Gap.
Blessed with amazing weather, the views were fantastic and the going easy. A great two-dayer with plenty to visit along the way.
- You'll need OS map 123 Eastbourne & Beachy Head
- Park in Darley Road, Eastbourne by the school – no fee payable
- 20 miles approx, evenly spread over two days
- Look out for the Long Man and the White Horse
- Discover the Church of The Good Shepherd, Lullington – TQ 527 032
- Cafés and pubs along the way
- Visitor centre at Exceat
- Beach access at Birling Gap
- All Saints Church, West Dean